[R] Recoding lists of categories of a variable

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Oct 10 21:31:43 CEST 2016

Dear Margaret,

You've had one suggestion of an alternative for recoding variables, but in addition your code is in error (see below).

That should be

   mydata$newvar[oldvar == "topic1"] <- "parenttopic"

Moreover, the code assumes that oldvar is visible, which may not be the case if it lives in mydata and mydata isn't attach()ed.

Best,
 John

John Fox, Professor
McMaster University