[R] NA treatment when comparing two vectors

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Tue Oct 4 21:02:25 CEST 2016

The all.equal function returns TRUE if two objects are pretty similar to
one another and a textual description of the differences if not.  Use
isTRUE on its output if you just want a TRUE/FALSE answer.

  > all.equal(c(1,2*(1+.Machine$double.eps),NaN), c(1,2,NaN))
  [1] TRUE
  > all.equal(c(1,2*(1+.Machine$double.eps),NaN), c(1,2,NaN), tolerance=0)
  [1] "Mean relative difference: 2.220446e-16"
  > isTRUE(all.equal(c(1,2*(1+.Machine$double.eps),NaN), c(1,2,NaN),
tolerance=0))
  [1] FALSE
  > all.equal(c(a=1, b=2), c(x=1, b=2))
  [1] "Names: 1 string mismatch"