[R] Problem installing rgdal.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Oct 4 08:19:27 CEST 2016

I have recently acquired a new laptop and a new OS (Ubuntu 16.04) and
have encountered a problem when trying to install rgdal.

The initial hiccups were overcome by installing "libgdal-dev" and
"libproj-dev" on my system, and then re-installing the package "sp" (as
advised by postings that I googled up on StackOverflow.

But then I came to a shuddering halt when I got the following error
response to run install.packages("rgdal",lib="/home/rolf/Rlib")

Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
   unable to load shared object '/home/rolf/Rlib/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so':
   /home/rolf/Rlib/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so: undefined symbol:
CPLQuietErrorHandler

I've googled around a bit on that and could find nothing that I could
comprehend.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Ta.

cheers,

Rolf Turner
--
Technical Editor ANZJS