[R] isssues with predict.coxph, offset, type = "expected", and newdata

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Sun Oct 2 04:44:15 CEST 2016

I'm off on vacation and checking email only intermittently.
Wrt the offset issue, I expect that you are correct.  This is not a case that I had ever envisioned, and so was not on my "list" when writing the code and certainly has no test case.  That does not mean that it shouldn't work, just that I am not shocked to see it.   I will look into this.

For the second case of a NULL model I am less sympathetic.  This is, in theory, just reading off values from a Nelson hazard estimate at specific time points; using a coxph call to do so is a case of swatting a fly with a hammer.   A bit more background might make me more excited about extending the code to this case.

Terry Therneau