[R] Multi-level Meta-Regression using metafor

Janina Steinert steinert.janina at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 13:04:12 CET 2016

Hi!

I am running a multi-level meta-regression in R using the metafor package.
I have specified a univariate multi-level meta-regression as follows:

Test_MR <- rma.mv(yi = effectsize_estimates, V = effsize_sd2, data = Test,
                  mods = ~ x, random = list(~ 1 | coeff, ~ 1 | study))

Can someone help explain what this code specifies exactly? Can I define
this as a mixed-effects model whereby the moderator X is a fixed effect and
random effects denote heterogeneity of effect sizes within study clusters
and between clusters?

Can someone explain what the ~1 at the end of the line specifies?
Thank you!