[R] Question about expression parser for "return" statement

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 11:12:49 CET 2016

On 13/11/2016 9:42 PM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> I find your response here inconsistent... either including `return` causes a "wasted" function call to occur (same result achieved slower) or the parser has an optimization in it to prevent the wasted function call (only behaviorally the same).

I don't understand what you are finding inconsistent.  I wasn't talking
about wasting anything.  I was just saying that expressions like

return (a)*b

are evaluated by calling return(a) first, because return() is a
function, and then they'll never get to the multiplication.

BTW, there don't appear to be many instances of this particular bug in
CRAN packages, though I don't have a reliable test for it yet.  The most
common error seems to be using just "return", as mentioned before.  The
fix for that is to add parens, e.g. "return()".  The next most common is
something like

invisible(return(x))

which returns x before making it invisible.  The fix for this is to use

return(invisible(x))

> I carefully avoid using the return function in R. Both because using it before the end of a function usually makes the logic harder to follow and because I am under the impression that using it at the end of the function is a small but pointless waste of CPU cycles. That some people might be prone to writing a C-like use of "return;" which causes a function object to be returned only increases my aversion to using it.

Sometimes it is fine to use return(x), but it shouldn't be used routinely.

Duncan Murdoch