[R] Alternative to apply in base R

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Nov 8 21:00:10 CET 2016

Dear Harold,

If the actual data with which you're dealing are non-negative, you could log all the values, and use colSums() on the logs. That might also have the advantage of greater numerical accuracy than multiplying millions of numbers. Depending on the numbers, the products may be too large or small to be represented. Of course, logs won't work with your toy example, where rnorm() will generate values that are both negative and positive.

I hope this helps,
 John
John Fox, Professor
McMaster University