[R] R segfault at startup, causing R crash

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Nov 4 23:46:17 CET 2016

> On Nov 4, 2016, at 1:39 PM, C W <tmrsg11 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear R list,
>
> Every time I start R, the following error message come up:
>
> *** caught segfault ***
> address 0x0, cause 'unknown'
>
> Possible actions:
> 1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
> 2: normal R exit
> 3: exit R without saving workspace
> 4: exit R saving workspace
>>
> Selection:
>
> I am unable to do a sessionInfo(), but I am using:
> R version 3.2.4 (2016-03-10)
> Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0 (64-bit)

The usual cause for this is a corrupted .Rdata file although sometime the .Rhistory file is the culprit. These are often not displayed (so-called "invisible files") by the OS file browsers so you may need to seek out OS-specific approaches to that possibility. Trash both of those possible sources of instability and restart.