[R] bzip2

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Nov 1 16:20:37 CET 2016

> On Nov 1, 2016, at 2:23 AM, Josef Eschgfaeller <esg at unife.it> wrote:
>
> David Winsemius wrote:
>
>> http://r.research.att.com/libs/
>
> I installed xz with
>
>    tar fvxz xz-5.0.5-darwin10-bin2.tar.gz -C /
>
> but then for R
>
>    ./configure --enable-R-shlib
>
> gives me the same error as before:
> checking for BZ2_bzlibVersion in -lbz2... yes
> checking bzlib.h usability... yes
> checking bzlib.h presence... yes
> checking for bzlib.h... yes
> checking if bzip2 version >= 1.0.6... no
> checking whether bzip2 support suffices... configure: error:
>           bzip2 library and headers are required
> I'm using Mac OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

You ought to a) include more context in your replies, and b) post on R-SIG-Mac.

The advice in the Admin-guide can be found here, although it says no testing has been done recently for SL:

https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-admin.html#OS-X

I suspect there are more difficulties with SL builds than just this problem. You will probably need to include all your setup information and the full configure log when you post this on the correct mailing list.