[R] Whether statistical background is must to learn R language

John McKown john.archie.mckown at gmail.com
Tue May 31 14:58:27 CEST 2016

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 2:22 AM, Prasad Kale <prasad.prasad.kale at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very new to R and just started learning R. But i am not from
> statistical background so can i learn R or to learn R statistical
> background is must.

​Well, I got a B.Sc. in Math back many years ago. I "earned" a C- in
Statistics (deserved). I don't use statistics normally. And I use R for
non-statistical purposes. In particular, I use it to read files into data
frames; do some minor statistical stuff (sum, mean, standard deviation,
other really simple stuff); then use ggplot2 to create really nice graphs
which I embed into a web page. I also use R to read a web site in order to
extract data in an HTML table into an R data frame. I then do some minor
manipulation and put the data into a PostgreSQL data base​. I even use it
to create Excel spreadsheets (for people at work who aren't wise enough to
abandon it for LibreOffice).

All that to say that, depending on your need, you don't need to learn
statistics to be able to use R. Of course, R was designed to make it easy
to do statistics. And many users here use it for that. But it is not a "one
trick pony".

--
The unfacts, did we have them, are too imprecisely few to warrant our
certitude.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown