[R] R for RedHat Linux upgrade?

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue May 17 18:30:48 CEST 2016

> On May 17, 2016, at 10:53 AM, phiroc at free.fr wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> does anyone know when the R 3.3 binary for RH Linux 7 will be available from the RedHat Repository?
>
> One of my R scripts, which uses ggplot2, works fine in RStudio 3.24 on Windows, but doesn't display any graphics in RStudio Server 3.23 on Linux RH 7.
>
> I would like to upgrade the server's R version, but only R v. 3.23 is available from the RH Repository.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Phiroc

Hi,

First, RHEL and related distributions (e.g. Fedora), have a dedicated R-SIG list:

Future queries in this domain should be submitted there, as many of the RH package maintainers (e.g. Tom Callaway, aka Spot) read that list.

Second, as you may be already aware, R is available via the EPEL, not the regular RH repos:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

Third, you can check the current status of RH related R builds in two places:

Bodhi, which is the RPM distribution framework - https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/?packages=R

Koji, which is the build framework - http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=1230

It would appear that Tom is in the process of preparing a 3.3.0 release, but I would defer to him on the time frame for release, which generally requires that testers provide the requisite feedback to increase the "karma" to a pre-specified level.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz