[R] Error in structure(.External(.C_dotTclObjv, objv), class = "tclObj") when selecting (HTTP mirrors) in update.packages()

Jennifer Lyon jennifer.s.lyon at gmail.com
Tue May 17 01:33:51 CEST 2016

Hi:

When I try to run update.packages() and double click on the last
option (HTTP mirrors), I receive the error message:
 Error in structure(.External(.C_dotTclObjv, objv), class = "tclObj")

While I can reliably reproduce the error, if I double click quickly
enough (decreased time between the two clicks) the error doesn't
appear, so it may be that the menu is receiving two clicks, very close
together instead of a double click causing it to fail.

update.packages()
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
Error in structure(.External(.C_dotTclObjv, objv), class = "tclObj") :
  [tcl] grab failed: window not viewable.
> traceback()
12: structure(.External(.C_dotTclObjv, objv), class = "tclObj")
11: .Tcl.objv(.Tcl.args.objv(...))
10: tcl("grab", "set", ...)
9: tkgrab.set(dlg)
8: tcltk::tk_select.list(choices, preselect, multiple, title)
7: select.list(choices, multiple = FALSE, title = title, graphics = TRUE)
6: menu(m[, 1L], graphics, httpLabel)
5: .chooseMirror(m, "CRAN", graphics, ind, useHTTPS)
4: chooseCRANmirror()
3: contrib.url(repos, type)
2: available.packages(contriburl = contriburl, method = method)
1: update.packages()

Additional information:
If I run update.packages() in the same R session after receiving the
above error, in addition to the normal menu with title "HTTPS CRAN
mirror", a smaller, empty menu appears with the title "HTTP CRAN
mirror".

Thanks.

Jen

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.3.0 (2016-05-03)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

[1] tools_3.3.0 tcltk_3.3.0