[R] Warning when running R - can't install packages either

Jakub Jirutka jakub at jirutka.cz
Fri May 13 21:55:47 CEST 2016

Hi,

I’m maintainer of the R package in Alpine Linux.

I read on multiple places that some packages needs R_HOME variable set to the location where is R installed, so I’ve added it to the system-wide profile. Is this correct, or a misinformation?

What system dependencies does R need to compile modules from CRAN? On Alpine the following dependencies are needed to build R: bzip2-dev curl-dev gfortran lapack-dev pcre-dev perl readline-dev xz-dev zlib-dev. Are all of these dependencies needed for compiling modules?

Jakub