[R] with vs. attach

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri May 6 13:46:21 CEST 2016

On 06 May 2016, at 02:43 , David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:

>> On May 5, 2016, at 5:12 PM, Spencer Graves <spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org> wrote:
>>
>> I want a function to evaluate one argument
>> in the environment of a data.frame supplied
>> as another argument.  "attach" works for
>> this, but "with" does not.  Is there a way
>> to make "with" work?  I'd rather not attach
>> the data.frame.
>>

>> With the following two functions "eval.w.attach"
>> works but "eval.w.with" fails:
>>

>> dat <- data.frame(a=1:2)
>> eval.w.attach <- function(x, dat){
>>  attach(dat)
>>  X <- x
>>  detach()
>> }
>>
>> eval.w.with <- function(x, dat){
>>  with(dat, x)
>> }
>>
>> eval.w.attach(a/2, dat) # returns c(.5, 1)
>
> How about using eval( substitute( ...))?
>
> eval.w.sub <- function(expr, datt){
>   eval( substitute(expr), env=datt)
>                         }
> eval.w.sub(a/2, dat)
> #[1] 0.5 1.0

Actually, I think a better overall strategy is to say that if you want to pass an expression to a function, then pass an expression object (or a call object or maybe a formula object).

Once you figure out _how_ your eval.w.attach works (sort of), you'll get the creeps:

Lazy evaluation causes the argument x to be evaluated after the attach(), hence the evaluation environment of an actual argument is being temporarily modified from inside a function.

Apart from upsetting computer science purists, there could be hidden problems: One major issue is that  values in "dat" could be masked by values in the global environment, another issue is that an error in evaluating the expression will leave dat attached. So at a minimum, you need to recode using on.exit() magic.

So my preferences go along these lines:

> dat <- data.frame(a=1:2)
> eval.expression <- function(e, dat) eval(e, dat)
> eval.expression(quote(a/2), dat)
[1] 0.5 1.0
> eval.expression(expression(a/2), dat)
[1] 0.5 1.0

> eval.formula <- function(f, dat) eval(f[[2]], dat)
> eval.formula(~a/2, dat)
[1] 0.5 1.0

Peter D.