[R] Network Layouting in R

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Mon May 2 16:49:40 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 8:36 AM, Kushank Chhabra
<Kushank.chhabra at iontrading.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am trying to plot a network diagram of around 1500 component (as nodes)
> and many connections (as edges) within them.

> I tried igraph package, however unable to create a layout where there is no
> overlap of nodes or edges.

How do you know it's physically possible to create a 2D layout with no overlap?
1500 nodes is a lot.

What did you try? What did you get? Did you produce a diagram, just
with more overlap than you were expecting? That may be the best you
can do.

> More or less tried all the things mentioned in this link -
>
> http://kateto.net/network-visualization

Again, what did you try? What did you get that doesn't meet your
needs? Just the overlap? Again, that may be unavoidable. Note the
comment from that link:
"One thing to emphasize though is that in many cases, visualizing
larger networks as giant hairballs is less helpful than providing
charts that show key characteristics of the graph."

> Can you please suggest how to do it in R ?

For working with largish graph layouts, I've had more success with
gephi than R, although I believe you can duplicate most of the gephi
functionality in R.

Sarah