[R] Convergence issues when using ns splines (pkg: spline) in Cox model (coxph) even when changing coxph.control

Göran Broström goran.brostrom at umu.se
Wed Mar 30 11:40:56 CEST 2016

Hi Jennifer,

see below.

On 2016-03-29 22:47, Jennifer Wu, Miss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently using R v3.2.3 and on Windows 10 OS 64Bit.
>
> I am having convergence issues when I use coxph with a interaction
> term (glarg*bca_py) and interaction term with the restricted cubic
> spline (glarg*bca_time_ns).

Comment on interactions: (i) You should not create interaction terms
'manually' but rather in the formula in the call to coxph ('*' means
different things in a formula and on the command line). That assures
that you get the main effects included. In your formula, you are missing
the main effects 'bca_py' and 'bca_time_ns'. Is that intentional? In a
few exceptional cases it may make sense to drop a main affect, but
generally not. (ii) Convergence problems may also occur with
interactions of variables that are not centered, so try to center
involved covariates.

Your 'coxph.control' values have nothing to do with your convergence
problem.

And try to provide reproducible code, in your case, the data set. If it
is not possible, maybe you can scale it down to include only the
problematic variables (with some fake values, if necessary) and just a
few cases, but enough to show your problem.

Göran Broström