[R] 'split-lapply' vs. 'aggregate'

Massimo Bressan massimo.bressan at arpa.veneto.it
Sun Mar 27 23:45:33 CEST 2016

this might be a trivial question (eventually sorry for that!) but I definitely can not catch the problem here...

please consider the following reproducible example: why of different results through 'split-lapply' vs. 'aggregate'?
I've been also through a check against different methods (e.g. data.table, dplyr) and the results were always consistent with 'split-lapply' but apparently not with 'aggregate'

I must be certainly wrong!
could someone point me in the right direction?

thanks

##

s <- split(airquality, airquality$Month)
ls <- lapply(s, function(x) {colMeans(x[c("Ozone", "Solar.R", "Wind")], na.rm = TRUE)})
do.call(rbind, ls)

# slightly different results with
aggregate(.~ Month, airquality[-c(4,6)], mean, na.rm=TRUE)

##