[R] fftImg() error: fftw_access_func

Eric Handler ehandler at macalester.edu
Fri Mar 25 21:09:42 CET 2016

Hello-

My name is Eric Handler and I am an academic technologist supporting
the Science Division(7 academic departments) at Macalester College in
Saint Paul, MN. The faculty use R for a variety of teaching and
research tasks around campus. I administer our RStudio instance and
have encountered an error I can't resolve. A student working on an
independent research project has reported that he received the
following error when attempting to use the ripa function fftImg():

Error in .C("fftw_access_func", as.complex(img), as.integer(w),
as.integer(h),  :
  "fftw_access_func" not available for .C() for package "ripa"

I've been able to recreate this error in RStudio as well as directly
in R. I've also recreated the error across different platforms(Ubuntu,
Mac OS X 10.10 and 10.11). My test platform's sessionInfo() output is
below:

R version 3.2.3 (2015-12-10)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0 (64-bit)
Running under: OS X 10.11.3 (El Capitan)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] parallel  tcltk     stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets
[8] methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] fftw_1.0-3 ripa_2.0-2

[1] tools_3.2.3 Rcpp_0.12.3

A google search for "fftw_access_func" doesn't reveal anything modern
on this topic, only mentions of OS 10.4 and 10.5 and rimage, which
doesn't seem to exist anymore(perhaps it was a predecessor to RIPA?)

Can someone help me get the student functional with fftImg() or
alternately, tell me it is a known issue and an alternative option(if
available) for the student?

Thanks,
Eric

--
Eric Handler
Academic Information Associate - Science Division