[R] Heteroscedastic data due to responses at one factor level being too low to measure and assumed to be 0?

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 17:05:06 CET 2016

This is a list about the R (statistical) programming language, not a
statistical advice list. That would be (among others)
stats.stackexchange.com, to which you can try posting.

However, recommendation: As you stated, you are well out of your
statistical depth here, and I would strongly advise that you find a
local statistical expert with whom to consult.  For example, this is
an example of (left) censored data, and as you noted, changing all
those lower than detectable limits to 0's may be problematic. There
are packages and functions to deal with this, but you have to know
what you're doing. You don't. So find help.

Personal gratuitous aside (feel free to ignore):  In my over 40 years
of consulting, I have encountered many, perhaps most, engineers, who
have such problems. So it is no dishonor. There just seems to be too
much other important stuff to fit into an engineering education for
there to be time for much statistics training. This comes back to bite
in practice, as you have found.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter