[R] better loop for simulation

Naresh Gurbuxani naresh_gurbuxani at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 19 00:12:16 CEST 2016

I want to calculate a function many times over.  My solution below works, but does not seem very elegant.

# my function to run many times over
stud.score <- function(n.questions, mult.choice = 2) {
	prob.success <- 1 / mult.choice
	answers <- (runif(n.questions) < prob.success)
	return(sum(answers))
}

# my method to run above function 1000 times and store results
count.df <- data.frame(n.count = rep(10, 1000))
scores.df <- apply(count.df, 1, function(x) return(stud.score(x)))

Creating a data frame just to repeat the the count seems wasteful.  How can I generate scores.df without count.df?

Thanks,
Naresh