[R] is there a package in R or functions to calculate odds/hasard ratio from spline regression

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Jun 15 20:37:53 CEST 2016

> On Jun 15, 2016, at 9:12 AM, takiy berrandou <takiyeddine at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> thank you for the answer. it's true i was'nt clear enough.
> the problem with glm()/gam or coxph() when the spline terms are used (specialy spline of 3rd degree) the calculated coefficients for the spline terms are difficult to interpret.

Not just difficult, but also generally unwise to attempt interpretation of individual spline coefficients.

> for example for spline of degree=3 and 3 knots, there are 7 beta's calculated, and to represent the result clearly we need to calculate OR/HR against a reference.

Natural splines are third degree, although generally the number of knots is 1 less than the degree of the polynomial.

> just making exp(beta) does'nt have a propre meaning.
> On SAS there are some MACRO's like %regspline which help to make some calcul to figure out the OR's.

The predict.* functions will generally handle that difficulty naturally. Each of hte regression functions will have a specific `predict` method for the class of model object. You simply provide the values for the covariates in a dataframe and a prediction for for total of associated terms will be returned. See:

?predict.glm

Std errors are generally available if the proper parameters are offered to the function. This procedure should be exemplified in the help documents and vignettes of the packages with whatever regression function you anticipate using. On the Rhelp mailing list you are requested to present questions with sufficient code to support a coding response.

--
David