[R] [FORGED] Re: help with r package "trip"

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Jun 15 10:49:22 CEST 2016

On 15/06/16 20:18, Jim Lemon wrote:
> Hi Alice,
> Have you tried creating a vector of the start position (xpos[1],ypos[1]):
>
> xstart<-rep(xpos[1],n)
> ystart<-rep(ypos[1],n)
> # where "n" is the number of subsequent positions in the trip
> max(trackDistance(xstart,ystart,xpos[2:n],ypos[2:n],...))
>
> may then give you the value of the longest distance from the start. I
> don't have the trip package or I could see if you really need to
> replicate the start positions.

Jim:  This seems to me to be somewhat off the point.  The OP was faced
with the problem of not being able to access the function homedist().
This function seems *not* to be exported from the trip package, and yet
it is a *documented* function which I would assume to imply that users
should be able to invoke it directly.

It is possible that in the past the OP was dealing with a version of the
trip package that was created before namespaces came into the picture,
whence "exporting" was not relevant.  I would suggest that the OP
contact the package maintainer (maintainer("trip") will give you the
email address) and enquire as to what is going on.

In the interim, a workaround *might* be to invoke homedist() as

     trip:::homedist(<whatever>)

Note the *triple* colon in the foregoing.  I am not at all familiar with
the trip package so my advice should probably be taken with several
grains of salt.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--