[R] About identification of CRAN CHECK machines in logs

Marcelo Perlin marceloperlin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 16:24:03 CEST 2016

Hi,

I recently released two packages (RndTexExams and GetTDData) in CRAN and
I'm trying to track the number of downloads and location of users.

I wrote a simple script to download and analyze the log files in http://cran
-logs.rstudio.com.
I realized, however, that during the release of a new version of the
packages there is a spike in the number of downloads. I believe that the
CRAN checks are included in the number of installations of the package in
the log files.

I see from the log files the existence of column "ip_id", which sets a
daily unique id for each new ip. My question is, can CRAN set the ip_id of
the CRAN machines to a fixed value so that we can filter only "real" users
out of the data? Can anyone see any other way around it?

Thanks.

--
Marcelo Perlin
Professor Adjunto | Escola de Administração