[R] Windows 10 Application Compatibility Check | FreeWare R Statistical Environment v3.2.2

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Jul 27 18:09:54 CEST 2016

Hi,

With the caveat that I speak for myself only, a few comments:

1. Given that Citi appears to have been running R on Windows 7 for some period of time, I am not sure that they are looking for reasons to deny users access to R. They are simply looking for some indication that R will run on Windows 10.

2. There is nothing presently in the relevant R for Windows FAQ:

  https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#Does-R-run-under-Windows-Vista_003f

that explicitly indicates that R will run on Windows 10. At some point, presumably, that would be updated to reflect more recent experience by R Core.

3. Besides Robert's comment below on his experience (n of 1), there are other comments that I see via a Google search that would suggest that his experience is not unique (e.g. https://rpubs.com/kartykr/rrproject) and there are threads in the R-Help archives from last September:

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2015-September/431809.html
  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2015-September/431825.html

that also support the notion that R will run on Windows 10.

4. If Citi, wants to pursue a more "commercial-like" approach to paid support for R, there are commercial versions of R available, which I shall not mention here, but a quick Google search would avail them of more details.

5. Lastly and perhaps most importantly, R is not Freeware. R (as made available by the R Foundation) is free open source software (FOSS) and is distributed under relevant open source licenses. The label "Freeware", which typically refers to proprietary software, only means that the binary application itself is free of charge. It does not mean that the source code for the application is also available. There is a very large functional and philosophical difference between FOSS and Freeware.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz