[R] Likelihood ratio test in porl (MASS)

Fox, John jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jul 27 13:35:23 CEST 2016

Dear Faradj Koliev,

There is an anova() method for "polr" objects that computes LR chisquare tests for nested models, so a short answer to your question is anova(Full, Restricted).

The question, however, seems to reflect some misunderstandings. First aov() fits linear analysis-of-variance models, which assume normally distributed errors. These are different from the ordinal regression models, such as the proportional-odds model, fit by polr(). For the former, F-tests *are* LR tests; for the latter, F-tests aren't appropriate.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor
McMaster University