[R] Likelihood ratio test in porl (MASS)

Faradj Koliev faradj.g at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 10:50:06 CEST 2016

Dear all,

A quick question: Let’s say I have a full and a restricted model that looks something like this:

Full<- polr(Y ~ X1+X2+X3+X4, data=data, Hess = TRUE,  method="logistic”) # ordered logistic regression

Restricted<- polr(Y ~ X1+X2+X3, data=data, Hess = TRUE,  method="logistic”) # ordered logistic regression

I wanted to conduct the F-test (using aov command) in order to determine whether the information from the X4 variable statistically improves our understanding of Y.
However, I’ve been told that the likelihood ratio test is a better alternative. So, I would like to conduct the LR test. In rms package this is easy -- lrest(Full, Restricted) — I’m just curious how to perform the same using polr. Thanks!