[R] gcc error when configuring instillation

kulm kulm at cooper.edu
Mon Jul 25 18:51:16 CEST 2016

Hello,

I am currently trying to install R in my directory of a shared linux
server.  I have downloaded the most recent source code tarball,
uncompressed it, but hit errors when trying to enter the ./configure
command.  The main error appears to focus on gcc as one of lines states:
"checking whether the C compiler works... no".  When reading the log I see:
"gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-V'" and "gcc: fatal error:
no input files".  I have checked and I have f77 and gfortran both within my
path, and the gcc version is 4.8.2.  When trying to ./configure with the
--disable-openmp command I recieve the same error.  I have attached the
config.log to the email.  If anyone has any suggestion I would be most
grateful.

Thank you very much,
Scott Kulm