[R] how to expand the dataframe

Daniel Nordlund djnordlund at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:22:02 CEST 2016

On 7/20/2016 8:26 PM, lily li wrote:
> Yes, I tried to create a dataframe and merge it with the shortened
> dataframe. The resulting dataframe goes with the short one and truncates
> the complete date column, so it does not work.
>
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 6:38 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsemius at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>>> On Jul 20, 2016, at 1:31 PM, lily li <chocold12 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi R users,
>>>
>>> I have a dataframe, where there is a column 'time' represents time series
>>> but is not complete. How to expand the dataframe so this column will
>> become
>>> complete, where other columns with the newly added rows have NA values?
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> df
>>> A     B     C     time
>>> 10    5     3.3 1990-01-01
>>> 11    5      4     1990-02-07
>>> 12    4     3      1990-02-14
>>
>> Make a dataframe with a 'time' column using seq.Date and merge that
>> dataframe with your df dataframe.
>>

>>>       [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>>
>> Really .... isn't it time you learned how to send plain text. You've
>> posted many questions on Rhelp.  It's really not that difficult on gmail. I
>> also have a gmail account and have had no difficulty finding instructions
>> on how to do it.

>> David Winsemius
>> Alameda, CA, USA

Don't just say you tried to do the merge and it doesn't work.  At a
minimum show us the ACTUAL code you used and give us any error messages
you got or show us a portion of the results and explain why it is not
what you expected.  If possible, give us a small amount of data using
dput() so that we can "play along at home" (i.e. give us a reproducible
example).

Dan

Daniel Nordlund
Port Townsend, WA