[R] gsl package installation problem: gsl-config not found (even though gsl has been installed)

Ismail SEZEN sezenismail at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 12:07:55 CEST 2016

> $ /home/pyangac/dev/bin/gsl-config --libs
> -L/home/pyangac/dev/lib -lgsl -lgslcblas -lm
>
> $ /home/pyangac/dev/bin/gsl-config --cflags
> -I/home/pyangac/dev/include
>
> $ LDFLAGS="-L/home/pyangac/dev/lib -lgsl -lgslcblas -lm"; export LDFLAGS
> $ CPPFALGS="-I/home/pyangac/dev/include"; export CPPFLAGS
>
> $ R CMD INSTALL '/home/pyangac/gsl_1.9-10.1.tar.gz'
> * installing to library '/home/pyangac/R_libs'
> * installing *source* package 'gsl' ...
> ** package 'gsl' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> checking for gsl-config... no
> configure: error: gsl-config not found, is GSL installed?
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'gsl'
> * removing '/home/pyangac/R_libs/gsl'
>
> Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it because I have not go through
> step 3?

Similar solution to your 3th step, if gsl was installed to different location, is to run R with flags and install gsl. Perhaps this helps you build gsl package without touching source.

CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/opt/gsl/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/opt/gsl/lib -lgsl -lgslcblas" R
> install.packages("gsl”)

Please, see [1] for more details:

1- http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24781125/installing-r-gsl-package-on-mac