[R] R-help mailing list activity / R-not-help?

jwd jwd at surewest.net
Mon Jan 25 23:13:43 CET 2016

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 11:06:35 -0500
Oliver Keyes <okeyes at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> +1. And frankly I would like to suggest that there is another obvious
> solution here; pairing a set of guidelines around expected user
> behaviour with removing people from the mailing list, or moderating
> them, if they do not think that creating a non-toxic environment is
> good.

The problem is defining a "toxic environment."  One person can find all
kinds of offense and rudness in something where another would
be appreciating a short, concise response, such as a suggestion to "read
the manual." "Toxic" is personal and one can find it wherever one
looks, if so minded. I suspect that if one perceives rudeness, one
ought to check and see that we haven't left our sensibilities out in
the traffic pattern where they are bound to be trampled.