[R] Division of data set with some restriction

Bert Gunter bgunter.4567 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 21:59:11 CET 2016

Muhammed:

1. Please post in plain text, not HTML, as HTML tends to get mangled
(this is the stated policy on this list). This may have happened to
your post, so I am not entirely sure what you want.

2. However, an assumption that you appear to be making is false: it is
not in general possible to split a data set with a given mean into two
subsets each of which has the same mean, i.e. average. A simple
counterexample is the data set 1, 9,  50  which has a mean of 20 but
cannot be split into 2 subsets with that mean.

3. If this is not what you meant, than you may need to clarify, as it
is certainly unclear to me.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter