[R] Reading a tab delimted file of varying length using read.table

Rolf Fankhauser rolf.fankhauser at gepdata.ch
Sun Jan 17 22:42:43 CET 2016

Hello Pradeep

I downloaded divorce.dat but I could not find tabs between the columns.
You defined tab as separator, so your columns should be separated by tabs.
Therefore read.table reads the whole first line and wants to save the
result as numeric because you defined the first column as numeric.

That's my interpretation
So, use tab, comma or semicolon as delimiter then it should work.

Rolf