[R] Order of formula terms in model.matrix

Lars Bishop lars52r at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 21:10:19 CET 2016

Question: I(a*b) would work as long as both “a" and “b” are numeric. Is there a way I can force the behaviour of model.matrix when one of these variables is a factor (as in "f1:trt" from my example below)?

Specifically, based on my example below, I would like to always return the first matrix (where the first level of “f1” is omitted in the resulting matrix). This would’t happen if the user specifies the terms in reverse order (as per the second matrix).

Thanks again,
Lars.