[R] Better scrolling feature in ggplot using Shiny???

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Jan 4 17:41:52 CET 2016

Server-side rendering of large amounts of data is often criticized this way.  In general, the answer lies in client-side rendering, which these days usually means serving a Web page with embedded data and Javascript (e.g. D3), not ggplot images. The drawback seems to be a significant amount of extra effort and learning JS (off-topic here), or paying someone else to do that grunt-work.

The CRAN Task View on graphics is a little dated in this respect, but may have some options if Web pages are not required.  The "plotly" package works with the plotly Web service, but your tool then becomes tied with that service and its licensing requirements, though they do make it easier to get an interactive plot. The "googleVis" package offers some similar features,  with similar baggage.

Please (re-)read the Posting Guide mentioned at the bottom of every r-help mailing list, which for one thing mentions that this is a plain text mailing list.  Posting in HTML is bound to lead to corrupted communication (us not being able to decipher your post) sooner or later,  and only you can prevent that by adjusting your email client when you send to this list.

[1] https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Graphics.html