[R] divide polygon shapefile into 3 equal areas

Boris Steipe boris.steipe at utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 29 19:14:24 CET 2016

Sounds like a fun little bit of code to write:

 - write a function that will return the area of a slice as a function of a parameter X that can vary between some bounds on your shape: left to right, or top to bottom etc. E.g. if you want to slice vertically, this could be the area of the part of your polygon between the leftmost point and a vertical line at X. (Adapt from here perhaps: https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2015-July/023168.html)
 - find the roots of that function for f(X, shape) - 1/3 * totalArea and f(X, shape) - 2/3 * totalArea
   (https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/stats/html/uniroot.html )

B.