[R] receiving Error: unexpected '='

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Mon Feb 29 11:17:51 CET 2016

"if" is not vectorized... it only works on length 1 test values. However,  if you do use it,  it absolutely requires parentheses... if ( test ) { truecode }.

I think you want "ifelse" which is vectorized... something like

ifelse( is.na( x ), y, x )

Read the help pages ?if and ?ifelse.

I don't know about the missing "E" in the error message... you might have corrupted your code with unicode or other non-ASCII characters by using a word processor rather than a text editor.