[R] How a clustering algorithm in R can end up with negative silhouette values?

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Feb 23 08:49:23 CET 2016

    > Thank you Martin.
    > I finally came up with this idea: use clara with 100 samples of the size of 1000, then use the clusters as initial runs for kmeans. I think this combines the advantages of clara and kmeans. It gives more distinct clusters than kmeans alone, less time required compared to kmeans alone, and no need for large samples for clara, which take too long to process.

    > Yet I cannot prove which one is better. Clara alone, or that combination method?! Do you have any suggestion?

[Replying to the mailing list, this should have been kept there]

Just a gut feeling:

Clara alone will be simpler and faster, and I cannot see that
extra kmeans iterations would in general be beneficial.

As I said earlier in this thread, I *would* strongly consider using
rngR = TRUE  and more than one (random) run so you get a feeling
about the influence of the random sample at start.
In addition, from the several runs, you could keep the best one.

Martin