[R] How to extract same columns from identical dataframes in a list?

Wolfgang Waser waser at frankenfoerder-fg.de
Wed Feb 10 10:04:26 CET 2016

Hi,

sapply(l,"[",T,2)

and

sapply(l, function(e) e[, 2])

work fine!

Thanks a lot!

Why is the second version "brute force and ignorance"? Is one of the
versions to be preferred? If so, which and why (very briefly, please)?

Results of the other options mentioned:

> sapply(l,"[[",2)

results in a single vector of length 7

> sapply(l,"[",,2)
Error in lapply(X = X, FUN = FUN, ...) :
argument is missing, with no default

These versions probably don't work due the "data frames" in the list
actually being matrices.

I'm not enough of a programer to always make complete sense of the R
help pages. Should I have found this information in the sapply - R help
page?
Where else could I check before pestering the R mailing list, which, of
course, provides quick and valuable answers.

Cheers,

Wolfgang