[R] middle of interval

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 11:17:06 CET 2016

On 08/02/2016 5:09 AM, catalin roibu wrote:
> Dear R users!
>
> I have a data frame with first column is an interval (1902-1931) and I want
> to find the middle of the interval? Is there a possibility to do that in R?
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Best regards!

I don't know of a single function that does that, but the way to do it
would be to separate the interval into two numbers, then take the
average.  If your intervals are strings in the form shown above (not
including the parentheses), this would work:

interval <- "1902-1931"
start <- as.numeric(sub("-.*", "", interval))
stop  <- as.numeric(sub(".*-", "", interval))
(start + stop)/2

Duncan Murdoch