[R] R project and the TPP

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Fri Feb 5 11:25:18 CET 2016

Folks

TPP, and in a European context, TTIP are very dangerous not only to open
source software but to any public service and no satisfactory response has
been forthcoming.

There are ways of circumventing it I guess or opposing it (maybe using
ISPs in China, Russia or North Korea???).  The issue really should be
reversed - how muchy open source coding has found its way into closed
source software?  We do not know because proprietory coding is secret, and
hence insecure.  Perhaps a court could rule that all software should be
available for inspection by independent experts.  This possibility may be
sufficient to shut TI etc up.

But this seems to have been put together in total secrecy and undermines
pretty nearly every 'freedom' people have fought for since at least King
John and probably others (not that English peasants enjoyed too much
freedom after 1215 as it was the barons who got it all!)

I really do not understand why legislators have done this unless
corruption has become so pervasive that there are no longer any good guys
and girls around (well, maybe Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn excepted
but their chance of power is pretty slim at the moment despite Iowa).

In the UK we have a referendum on EU membership which under ordinary
circumstances I would automatically support as very much a pro-Europe
person.  But if TTIP is implemented, I don't know which way to vote.  Of
course it is a total sham anyway, so maybe a bloody nose for the
legislators would not be a bad idea.  And looking at the way the EU has
treated Greece, Cyprus, Ireland, Portugal, I don't hold out much hope for
an epiphany.

Anyway this is a bit OT. :)