[R] histogram first bar wrong position

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Dec 22 17:36:34 CET 2016

Looking at the return value of hist will show you what is happening:

> x <- rep(1:6,10*(6:1))
> z <- hist(x, freq=TRUE)
$breaks
 [1] 1.0 1.5 2.0 2.5 3.0 3.5 4.0 4.5 5.0 5.5 6.0

$counts
 [1] 60 50  0 40  0 30  0 20  0 10

The the first bin is [1-1.5], including both endpoints, while the other
bins include only the upper endpoint.  I recommend defining your
own breakpoints, ones don't include possible data points, as in

> print(hist(x, breaks=seq(min(x)-0.5, max(x)+0.5, by=1), freq=TRUE))
$breaks
[1] 0.5 1.5 2.5 3.5 4.5 5.5 6.5

$counts
[1] 60 50 40 30 20 10

S+ had a 'factor' method for hist() that did this sort of thing, but R does
not.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com