[R] are R packages safe?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at effectivedefense.org
Thu Dec 8 19:25:20 CET 2016

On 12/8/2016 12:08 PM, Dimitri Liakhovitski wrote:
> Thank you, Marc.
> That's helpful!
> I think, in this case it's mostly:
>
> That they are virus/malware free.
> And that they don't send out some info that they are not supposed to.

       Doing those things are absolutely against CRAN policies, but you
should get one of the CRAN maintainers to tell you the extent to which
they check these things.

       CRAN will reject a violation of these rules if they catch them,
and they do scan for many possible problems.  For example, I don't know
if they'd catch a call to "q()" in a package if that line of code was
not exercised in any of the standard tests.  Even of they could catch
that, I don't know if they'd catch "do.call(q, list())"

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer Graves