[R] CONFUSSING WITH select[!miss] <- 1:sum(!miss)

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Tue Dec 6 20:04:01 CET 2016

Hello,

The first command line produces a logical vector with TRUE if at least
one row element of ph is NA and FALSE otherwise.
The second creates a vector of zeros with length equal to nrow(ph).
Now the third command line. ! negates miss, so TRUE becomes FALSE and
vice-versa. sum(!miss) counts how many not misses are there and
1:sum(!miss) creates a vector 1, 2, ..., sum(!miss). To see this print
each of these components one by one:

print(miss)
print(!miss)
print(sum(!miss))
etc

And select[!miss] uses a logical index into 'select' to set only the
values of 'select' where !miss is TRUE equal to 1, 2, 3, ...

I believe you should read R-intro.pdf that comes with your installation
of R more carefully, specially sections 2.4 and 2.7.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas