[R] Interpreting summary.lm for a 2 factor anova

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Dec 2 18:09:28 CET 2016

> On Dec 2, 2016, at 6:16 AM, Ashim Kapoor <ashimkapoor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Pikal,
>
> All levels except the interactions are compared to the Intercept. I'm a
> little confused as to what's going on in interaction terms eg. the cell
> wool B : tension M. It's mean is :
> 28.78 and 28.78 - 44.56 = -15.78 != 21.111.
>
> It's something like 44.56 (intercept) -16.333 (wool B) -.20.556 (tension
> M)  + 21.111 (woolB:tensionM) = 28.782.
>
> I don't know how to sum up the above line in terms of differences
> succinctly.

The aov estimate will not exactly equal the observed mean (this is _statistics_ after all). You should be comparing the mean of that cell to the estimate:

 44.556 + (-16.33) +(-20.556) + (21.11)

The difference between the observed mean and the estimated mean is known as a 'residual' and the squared sum of the all residuals is what this being minimized ... over all the cells including the one implicitly associated with the Intercept.

This isn't really on-topic for Rhelp since you are not having difficulty in getting the R program to perform its duties, but are rather in need of statistical education. That not what this mailing list is set up for.

--
David.