[R] Command for simple effects following 2 way anova with interaction

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Thu Dec 1 06:08:11 CET 2016

## Use the split argument to summary.aov

## This tests the levels of tension within each level of wool using a common
## Residuals sum of squares.

sapply(warpbreaks, levels)

model2 <- aov(breaks ~ wool/tension, data = warpbreaks)
colnames(model.matrix(model2))
## [1] "(Intercept)"    "woolB"          "woolA:tensionM" "woolB:tensionM"
## [5] "woolA:tensionH" "woolB:tensionH"
sapply(warpbreaks[2:3], levels)
summary(model2,
        split=list("wool:tension"=list("woolA/tension"=c(1,3),
                                       "woolB/tension"=c(2,4))))

## The less good choice has the same numerator sums of squares but
## different Residuals sums of squares, with fewer df for each,
## and comes to different conclusions.
model3A <- aov(breaks ~ tension,
               data = warpbreaks[warpbreaks$wool=="A",])
summary(model3A)

model3B <- aov(breaks ~ tension,
               data = warpbreaks[warpbreaks$wool=="B",])
summary(model3B)

## The boxplots show that model2 better describes the data.
## There is a significant difference for woolA and not for woolB.
library(lattice)
bwplot(breaks ~ tension | wool, data=warpbreaks)