[R] How to test existence of an environment and how to remove it (from within functions)?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 19:59:06 CEST 2016

On 29/08/2016 1:36 PM, Marius Hofert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a function main() which calls another function aux() many times. aux()
> mostly does the same operations based on an object and thus I would like it to
> compute and store this object for each call from main() only once.
>
> Below are two versions of a MWE. The first one computes the right result (but is
> merely there for showing what I would like to have; well, apart from the
> environment .my_environ still floating around after main() is called).
> It works with an
> environment .my_environ in which the computed object is stored. The
> second MWE tries to set
> up the environment inside aux(), but neither the check of existence in
> aux() nor the
> removal of the whole environment in main() work (see 'TODO' below). How can this
> be achieved?

If you create aux in a local() call, it can have persistent storage,
because local() creates an environment to hold it.  For example,

aux <- local({
   persistent <- NULL
   function(x) {
     if (!is.null(persistent))
       message("Previous arg was ", persistent)
     persistent <<- x
   }
})

Note that the assignment uses <<- to work in the local-created
environment rather than purely locally within the evaluation frame of
the call.  You need to create the variable "persistent" there, or the
assignment would go to the global environment, which is bad.

This gives

 > aux(1)
 > aux(2)
Previous arg was 1