[R] aggregate

David L Carlson dcarlson at tamu.edu
Wed Aug 24 16:37:34 CEST 2016

Thank you for the reproducible example, but it is not clear what cross product you want. Jim's solution gives you the cross product of the 2-column matrix with itself. If you want the cross product between the columns you need something else. The aggregate function will not work since it will treat the columns separately:

> A <- as.matrix(myData[myData$Z=="A", 1:2])
  X Y
1 1 4
2 2 3
> crossprod(A) # Same as t(A) %*% A
   X  Y
X  5 10
Y 10 25
> crossprod(A[, 1], A[, 2]) # Same as t(A[, 1] %*% A[, 2]
     [,1]
[1,]   10

> # For all the groups
> lapply(split(myData, myData$Z), function(x) crossprod(as.matrix(x[, 1:2])))
$A
   X  Y
X  5 10
Y 10 25

$B
   X  Y
X 25 10
Y 10  5

> lapply(split(myData, myData$Z), function(x) crossprod(x[, 1], x[, 2]))
$A
     [,1]
[1,]   10

$B