[R] Creating dummy variable using ifelse statement while you also retain NA's

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Wed Aug 17 21:25:20 CEST 2016

You can use nested ifelse() calls, as in
   x <- c("a", "b", NA, "678")
   ifelse(is.na(x), NA_integer_, ifelse(grepl("[a-z]", x), 1L, 0L))
   #[1]   1   1  NA   0

Note that most modelling functions that need dummy variables
use the model.matrix function internally so character/factor data gets
converted to dummy variables automatically.  Using ifelse to make
dummy variables is usually the hard way to do it.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com