[R] R Package installation

Jeff Newmiller jdnewmil at dcn.davis.ca.us
Sat Aug 13 02:07:17 CEST 2016

This may not have anything to do with the OP's problem, but if permissions are an issue then it should be mentioned.

One problem that some windows users encounter is thinking they should "Run As"  administrator when installing or running R, rather than letting Windows UAE prompt them for privilege escalation as needed.

The side effect of such an action is that (most? all?) files touched by R then become usable only by R running as administrator, and all sorts of weird problems ensue. It is much better to avoid ever running as administrator and updating all packages into the user-specific package library as needed, with the system-wide package library updated only when R is upgraded.