[R] Continuation-parsing / trampoline / infinite recursion problem

Thomas Mailund mailund at birc.au.dk
Wed Aug 10 20:39:03 CEST 2016

Ok, I think maybe I am beginning to see what is going wrong...

Explicitly remembering the thunk parameters in a list works fine, as far as I can see.

make_thunk <- function(f, ...) {
  remembered <- list(...)
  function(...) do.call(f, as.list(remembered))
}

thunk_factorial <- function(n, continuation = identity) {
  if (n == 1) {
    continuation(1)
  } else {
    new_continuation <- function(result) {
      make_thunk(continuation, n * result)
    }
    make_thunk(thunk_factorial, n - 1, new_continuation)
  }
}

trampoline <- function(thunk) {
  while (is.function(thunk)) thunk <- thunk()
  thunk
}

trampoline(thunk_factorial(100))

But if I delay the evaluation of the parameters to thunk I get an error

make_thunk <- function(f, ...) {
  remembered <- eval(substitute(alist(...))) # not evaluating parameters yet
  function(...) do.call(f, as.list(remembered))
}

thunk_factorial <- function(n, continuation = identity) {
  if (n == 1) {
    continuation(1)
  } else {
    new_continuation <- function(result) {
      make_thunk(continuation, n * result)
    }
    make_thunk(thunk_factorial, n - 1, new_continuation)
  }
}

trampoline(thunk_factorial(100))

Running this version I am told, when applying the function, that it doesn’t see variable `n`.

As far as I can see, the thunk remembers the parameters just fine. At least this gives me the parameters I made it remember

x <- 1
f <- make_thunk(list, a = 1 * x, b = 2 * x)
g <- make_thunk(list, c = 3 * x)
f()
g()

Here I just get the parameters back in a list because the wrapped function is `list`. (The reason I have `x` as a global variable and use it in the arguments is so I get call objects that needs to be evaluated lazily instead of just values).

These values contain the expressions I gave the `make_thunk` function, of course, and they are not evaluated. So in the factorial function the missing `n` is because I give it the expression `n - 1` that it of course cannot evaluate in the thunk.

So I cannot really delay evaluation.

Does this sound roughly correct?

Now why I can still get it to work when I call `cat` remains a mystery…

Cheers
	Thomas